Book Two : Kawaii Doll Face Pouch

I feel elated to completed another project of my challenge.  HMMMM...I think I need to give this challenge a name...let's see...I think I'll call it the Holy Moly I Have Too Many Craft Books challenge.

Second Project & Book of my HOLY MOLY I HAVE TOO MANY CRAFT BOOK CHALLENGE
 Projects & Books Remaining : 48 out of 50

The cover of this book caught my eye. It is pretty, yes?  My thing for any book; cook books, literature, and of course, craft books, is to make a quick judgement of its contents based on the cover.  Followed by a quick flip through and then the price, if interesting.  Yes, I love book covers. 

ISBN978-4-86322-061-4
 Upon being lured by the cover; it was this doll face pouch that captivated my heart.


A drawback to this book is the lack of pictorial instructions or patterns.  So I did my 'zakka inspired' thing to make this pouch.

Instead of the patchwork styled hair, I did an embroidery instead.  I am in a struggle to match fabric colors and styles so after a few attempts I decided upon the embroidery.  With minute changes to the eyes, nose, mouth, and adornments...this kawaii doll face pouch was born.

Here's a close up of her darling face ~




A TIP ~
 Do you ever find yourself needing more hands or fingers to tie a bow?  Here's a tip involving a ... fork. This method is usually used for ribbon bows but after fumbling a bit to tie the fabric bow, I decided to give this method a try...so much easier !

Simply follow the pics :


 Before I sign off, I must show you this gorgeous bread, the Hokkaido Milk Toast.



The recipe is from the website:  CHRISTINE's RECIPE .  If you like authentic Asian recipes then is definitely the place for you.  For instance, this lovely bread is made with the tangzhong method.  Sounds strange and difficult but is super easy.

Christine says that the method appeared in a Chinese cook book authored by Yvonne Chen.  Tangzhong is the 'secret ingredient' to a soft and fluffy bread that keeps fresh for days; and which has roots in Japan.  It is simply a flour and water 'paste' mixture cooked to a certain temperature, rested, then added to your bread ingredients.

My grumpy family loves the bread...it has a slight sweetness to it and is very soft and is very similar to the Hawaii-styled sweet breads brought to the islands by the Portuguese.  I think I did a few booboos along the way, so the bread is not as fluffy as Christine's, but the recipe was very forgiving.

I hope you visit Christine's blog and give this method a try...you won't regret it.

Onwards to my next project !!! Until then...

Happy Day ^_^
kat

12 comments:

  1. I love her face, the eyes are so expressive and the fork and bow- that is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerry ! my lady, how do you have the time to blog visit while sewing all those amazing projects I sew on your website! I thank you much for being here ~

      Delete
  2. I love your embroidered hair - you are awesome at stem stitch (is that what it's called?!) It's a stitch I haven't tried yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suki~ The hair is a stem stitch, which is a hit or miss for me. Heh. I had to pull out a book to see how it's done but I had a hard time figuring out the illustrated instructions. I'm happy that it worked out this time!

      Delete
  3. This turned out SUPER cute! I can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yadira~ Thank you !!! I'm deep in thought about my next project..yikes!! What have I gotten myself into ! LOL

      Delete
  4. Lovely pouch! I saw this on flickr and have to come and pay you a visit... hand embroidery is my favorite handicraft.
    The fork crafty tip is genius... thanks for sharing!
    The bread looks delicious... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bits of Stitching ~ Welcome!!! thank you for stopping by..please don't be a stranger and return for a bit of chat any time .. ;0)

      Delete
  5. I needed to comment, just to thank you! I have been looking for a Chinese/Japanese bread recipe that I can alter with Soymilk, and the website you linked to has different variations of this bread that I'm going to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie ~~ You are going to love the bread recipes on Christine's website..I can't wait to try more of her recipes...yummy stuff!

      Delete
  6. yours is better than the one on the book!!! good job ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not understand the bow. 😯

    ReplyDelete